Monday, April 13, 2009

"I Must Create A System Or Be Enslaved By Another Man's"

"People are living in things that have happened, the 60's have happened, Your parents have taken all the drugs they can take, You've had the 70's, you had heavy metal- get with it, it's over with, wake up. Kids are living in re-runs, the same crap over and over & their minds get closed tighter and tighter, it's such a waste. The same political crap, the radio IS DEAD. I think the whole thing is going to fall down to this lower level, cause I know kids are getting into it, they don't have anything else. What we have at these shows, and with these records- this is OUR battle field, this is where we will be fighting about what we're for. We don't have access to all the things people in the 60's had, we have to do it all ourselves, which means we have to get happening, we HAVE to get with it."
Guy Picciotto, Flipside #47 (1985)

I've finally got my greedy little paws on it, the book that has been mention to me for some years now. With my delayed efforts to pursue it (just as much as many things in my life) my eyes are drowning in the sea of Michael Azerrad's words.
Prying into, Our Band Could Be Your Life.

After catching up to, "Please Kill Me: The Uncensored Oral History of Punk Rock" last summer. Following the movement to see what direction music was going to mold into around 1981-1991.

Thankfully, there is a generous neighbor that passes me questionable brownies, reserves, and literature. During our usual cigarettes-balcony discussion rants, Dinosaur Jr. was brought up. This tortured man eyes light up as he poured out his appreciation and affection for this band. He was too caught up in a fit of words that he flickered his smoke in such a panic, ran into his bedroom, and returned with the only book I needed to be in possession with at this moment.
Thank you kindly again, Max.

The lifestyle I lead at times can be questionable, in a good ways though I promise. The people in my life are just trying to get by and make the best of doing it themselves. Question everything, stand up for your believe system, and if times called for it; Out run/Out smart the cops.
The culture and life style we apply has always been DIY. There's no other way I'd rather feel the music then being in a swamp pit of arm pits and anger.
A cause for change.

The Minutemen called it "Jamming Econo."
( I'd strongly advise that you check out, We Jam Econo- The Story of The Minutemen)

"And not only could you jam econo with your band- you could jam econo on your job, in your buying habits, in your whole way of living. You could take this particular approach to music and apply it to just about anything else you wanted to. You could be beholden only to yourself and the values and people you respected. YOU could take charge of your own existence."
-Azerrad

Have you ever been free?

No comments:

Post a Comment